LOS ANGELES, CA
Golden Motel Project
Rally to Support Housing for Homeless Veterans
Friday June 16, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.
The Golden Motel
6343/6353 Rosemead Blvd, San Gabriel, CA.
Bring your American flags to show support!
Mercy Housing, one of the largest and most respected affordable housing developers in the United States is facing enormous opposition and threats of legal action from neighboring communities in response to their proposal to house 107 homeless individuals, including 60 of whom are veterans, by refurbishing the crime-ridden Golden Motel in San Gabriel, CA into a housing project.
The Golden Motel is currently a last resort for transients, averaging 10 police calls a month for the past five years. Mercy Housing screens all tenants and will have 6 case workers living on-site, according to their proposal. Mercy is well-respected for it’s quality of excellence, and the project offers the chance to improve safety and aesthetic in this community.
There over 44,000 homeless individuals living in Los Angeles County, including 2,700 homeless veterans. San Gabriel Valley has nearly 2,800 homeless individuals. The communities of Temple City, Rosemead, San Gabriel, Alhambra, and Arcadia do not currently have the requisite resources to respond to the homelessness and poverty challenges they are currently facing.
Homes end homelessness! The Golden Motel project is a beautiful opportunity to turn a crime-ridden motel into a beautiful symbol honoring those who have served our county and demonstrating our values in aiding the most vulnerable in society.
Interested participants may contact Jill at 626) 675-1316 or firstname.lastname@example.org!
OTHER WAYS TO HELP THIS EFFORT
- On Friday, June 16th we have an action planned from 6:30-7:30pm, in front of the Golden Motel at 6343 and 6353 Rosemead Blvd. See attached flyer. I can bring you some of these tomorrow if you wish—let me know where and when. We are asking people to bring American flags and make signs if they can in support of the project, i.e. Home End Homelessness, or Support Our Veterans. Please invite Vets to come and wear their uniforms and invite the media.
- Circulate this petition and post on Facebook. Change.org Petition: Support Homeless Veterans
- Attend Temple City, CA City Council meeting on June 20 at 7:30 p.m.
- 5938 Kaufmann Ave., Temple City, CA
- Send letters to their City Clerk: Peggy Kuo, (626) 285-2171, ext. 4131, email@example.com
- San Gabriel City Council Meeting on June 20, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
- Council Chambers: 425 S. Mission Dr., San Gabriel, CA 91776
- City Clerk: Julie Nguyen firstname.lastname@example.org, Ph: (626) 308-2816
- Write a counter article to get published—.http://www.sgvtribune.com/government-and- politics/20170503/temple-city-residents-demand-city-block-affordable-housing-for-veterans-homeless